Re: Questions about initrd environment services and IgnoreOnIsolate

From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2024 6:44 PM
To: Carolina Jubran <cjubran@xxxxxxxxxx>; systemd-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <systemd-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Questions about initrd environment services and IgnoreOnIsolate

External email: Use caution opening links or attachments

On 12.05.2024 18:19, Carolina Jubran wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I need help with a systemd service that loads RDMA and InfiniBand drivers. The service unit specifies DefaultDependencies=no. However, when the service starts in initrd, it gets terminated when initrd-cleanup.service isolates for initrd-switch-root.target in the middle of the initialization.
>>

>Then make your service
>
>Before=initrd-switch-root.target

Even with 'Before=initrd-switch-root.target', the service remains susceptible to termination. Hence, I presume 'initrd.target' would be a more appropriate dependency?

>assuming it is added to the default transaction. You need to make sure
>your service is not considered started until drives are loaded.

What steps can I take to ensure that my service is not considered started until the drivers are loaded?
[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes
ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load /etc/rdma/modules/%I.conf
TimeoutSec=90s

I attempted to utilize ExecStartPre instead of ExecStart, but systemd indicated that the unit file is missing ExecStart or ExecStop