Re: timedatectl causing system reset

On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 12:17 PM ashok athukuri <athukuriashok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In my Linux box, Initially both services "systemd-timedated.service"  and "systemd-timesyncd.service" are inactive
> When I executed command:
> #timedatectl set-ntp true
> Failed to set ntp: Connection timed out
>
> But I see both service are started sequentially in the above order, wonder why its causing timeout.
> Wonder why sometimes it is causing a system reset ?
>
> I also can't see logs using #journalctl -fu systemd-timedated.service
>
> Do I need to start "systemd-timedated.service" instead of inactive service ?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Thanks,
> Ashok

So..you system reboots on that action ? or what do you mean with system reset ?
No, you don't need to start systemd-timedated.service, it starts by
itself when needed that error:

"Failed to set ntp: Connection timed out"

happens when timedatectl failed to talk to timedated for a pretty long
time..suggesting there is something horrible wrong with your system.