What are Abandon() and AbandonScope() used for?

Hello,
Can somebody give me an insight of what these methods really do?
The documentation is pretty vague: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/dbus/

When should I use this? For example I am creating a scope which will allocate some pids into their cgroups. The scope is created from a daemon run from a service unit. The service will eventually be shut down and I want the scope to remain if it has pids in it. Should the service "abandon" the scope?

Commit a911bb9ab27ac0eb3 says:
When a process dies that we can associate with a specific unit, start
watching all other processes of that unit, so that we can associate
those processes with the unit too.
What does "watching a process" mean?
Are these methods intended to be used only by logind?
Thanks