Re: [RFC] initoverlayfs - a scalable initial filesystem

On Di, 12.12.23 23:01, Nils Kattenbeck (nilskemail@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > sysexts are erofs or squashfs file systems with verity backing. Only
> > the sectors you access are decompressed.
>
> Okay I forgot that they were erofs based and mentioned cpio archives
> so I assumed they would be one.
> Do they need to be fully read from disk to generate the cpio archive?

erofs is a file system, cpio is a serialized archive. Two different
things. The discussion here is whether to pass the initrd to the
kernel as one or the other. But noone is suggesting to convert one to
the other at boot time.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin