Re: [RFC] initoverlayfs - a scalable initial filesystem

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 at 16:36, Demi Marie Obenour
<demi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >    root=/dev/pmem0. This means yout boot loader will still load the
> >    whole image into memory, but only decompress the bits actually
> >    neeed. (It also has some other nice benefits I like, such as an
> >    immutable rootfs, which tmpfs-based initrds don't have.)
> >
> > 3. Simply never transition to the root fs, don't marke the initrds in
> >    systemd's eyes as an initrd (specifically: don't add an
> >    /etc/initrd-release file to it). Instead, just merge resources of
> >    the root fs into your initrd fs via overlayfs. systemd has
> >    infrastructure for this: "systemd-sysext". It takes immutable,
> >    authenticated erofs images (with verity, we call them "DDIs",
> >    i.e. "discoverable disk images") that it overlays into /usr/. [You
> >    could also very nicely combine this approach with systemd's
> >    portable services, and npsawn containers, which operate on the same
> >    authenticated images]. At MSFT we have a major product that works
> >    exactly like this: the OS runs off a rootfs that is loaded as an
> >    initrd, and everything that runs on top of this are just these
> >    verity disk images, using overlayfs and portable services.
> >
> > 4. The proposal in 3 also addresses goal 4.
> >
> > Which leaves item 1, which is a bit harder to address. We have been
> > discussing this off an on internally too. A generic solution to this
> > is hard. My current thinking for this could be something like this,
> > covering the UEFI world: support sticking a DDI for the main initrd in
> > the ESP. The ESP is per definition unencrypted and unauthenticated,
> > but otherwise relatively well defined, i.e. known to be vfat and
> > discoverable via UUID on a GPT disk. So: build a minimal
> > single-process initrd into the kernel (i.e. UKI) that has exactly the
> > storage to find a DDI on the ESP, and set it up. i.e. vfat+erofs fs
> > drivers, and dm-verity. Then have a PID 1 that does exactly enough to
> > jump into the rootfs stored in the ESP. That latter then has proper
> > file system drivers, storage drivers, crypto stack, and can unlock the
> > real root. This would still be a pretty specific solution to one set
> > of devices though, as it could not cover network boots (i.e. where
> > there is just no ESP to boot from), but I think this could be kept
> > relatively close, as the logic in that case could just fall back into
> > memory.
>
> I don't think this is "a pretty specific solution to one set of devices"
> _at all_.  To the contrary, it is _exactly_ what I want to see desktop
> systems moving to in the future.
>
> It solves the problem of large firmware images.  It solves the problem
> of device-specific configuration, because one can use a file on the EFI
> system partition that is read by userspace and either treated as
> untrusted or TPM-signed.  It means that one have a complete set of
> recovery tools in the event of a problem, rather than being limited to
> whatever one can squeese into an initramfs.  One can even include a full
> GUI stack (with accessibility support!), rather than just Plymouth.  For

plymouth is very interesting in that it has it's own graphics stack, event loop
implementations, etc. A lot of the initrd software is like this.
plymouth is one of
the examples I think of in my head of something that could benefit from being
able to use more generic things. At least it's an easy example to explain to
people.

> Qubes OS, one can include enough of the Xen and Qubes toolstack to even
> launch virtual machines, allowing the use of USB devices and networking
> for recovery purposes.  It even means that one can use a FIDO2 token to
> unlock the hard drive without a USB stack on the host.  And because the
> initramfs _only_ needs to load the boot extension volume, it can be
> very, _very_ small, which works great with using Linux as a coreboot
> payload.
>
> The only problem I can see that this does not solve is network boot, but
> that is very much a niche use case when compared to the millions of
> Fedora or Debian desktop installs, or even the tens of thousands of
> Qubes OS installs.  Furthermore, I would _much_ rather network boot be
> handled by userspace and kexec, rather than the closed source UEFI network
> stack.

A generic approach is hard, I think it's worth discussing which type of boots
you should actually care about milliseconds of performance for. It would be nice
if we had an init system that contained the binary data to do the minimum for
standard Fedora, Debian installs and everything else was an extension whether
that's sysexts, dlopen, a new binary to execute etc.

If the network is ingrained in your boot stack like this, I'm guessing
you probably
don't care about boot performance. Should we come up with a new technique?

Automotive has an expectation for really fast boots, like 2 seconds, in standard
desktops installs there's some expectation as you interface directly
with a human,
but for other installs how much expectation is there?

Or can we just fall back to existing techniques for installs like network boot?

Is mise le meas/Regards,

Eric Curtin