Re: [RFC] initoverlayfs - a scalable initial filesystem

On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 at 18:12, Luca Boccassi <bluca@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 at 17:58, Eric Curtin <ecurtin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Do we, though? All modern hardware platforms (and VMs) that matter are
> > > UEFI. Why would any of this be needed for legacy hardware platforms?
> > > The existing mechanisms can work just fine on those until they reach
> > > EOL, they won't stop working.
> >
> > Respectfully, this is not true. Especially on ARM platforms. I would
> > like it to be true, but it's not true today.
>
> Where any of this would actually matter, they mostly do, and where
> they don't one can put together uboot with uefi mode.

When you are trying to improve boot performance, introducing another
layer of bootloader with uboot doesn't help. You also have to port
every hardware platform you encounter to uboot. And if you can solve
the problem in the Linux stack somewhere rather than the bootloader.
Why would we choose to fix the problem in the bootloader?

> > I should have expanded, we are not trying to avoid transitioning to a
> > final rootfs, the goal is to transition to a final rootfs. But not to decompress
> > and copy all the bytes to a tmpfs up front, rather use something like erofs,
> > overlayfs, etc. sysexts uses erofs+overlayfs, but it's designed with
> > a different goal in mind.
>
> In what way is the goal different?

This project is basically build an initrd, but put it in a
erofs+overlayfs alternatively (technically it builds a really small
initrd to initialize some basic storage drivers etc. and build a
second initrd in an erofs format). All existing software that we've
tested "just works" with this approach, including all the systemd
stuff. And you can do transparent decompression with lz4hc
alternatively. It also means you don't have to be as afraid of
bloating your initial filesystem, because minimizing initrd's is
tedious work.