Re: [RFC] initoverlayfs - a scalable initial filesystem

On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 at 17:46, Luca Boccassi <bluca@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 at 17:25, Eric Curtin <ecurtin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > sd-stub already supports having a small initrd shipped in the UKI,
> > > that is extended via sysexts, and systemd already supports running
> > > from it, without any transition to a final rootfs. What else do you
> > > need? What problem is this attempting to solve?
> >
> > I must give sd-stub a try. The bootloader I most commonly work with (and is one
> > of the target platforms this is intended for) isn't UEFI, we need something more
> > portable.
>
> Do we, though? All modern hardware platforms (and VMs) that matter are
> UEFI. Why would any of this be needed for legacy hardware platforms?
> The existing mechanisms can work just fine on those until they reach
> EOL, they won't stop working.

Respectfully, this is not true. Especially on ARM platforms. I would
like it to be true, but it's not true today.

I should have expanded, we are not trying to avoid transitioning to a
final rootfs, the goal is to transition to a final rootfs. But not to decompress
and copy all the bytes to a tmpfs up front, rather use something like erofs,
overlayfs, etc. sysexts uses erofs+overlayfs, but it's designed with
a different goal in mind.