Re: WSL Ubuntu creates XDG_RUNTIME_DIR with incorrect permissions

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 6:02 AM Thomas Larsen Wessel <mrvelle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
WSL does not use systemd by default.

According to this article, it systemd has been default on WSL Ubuntu since june 2023. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/systemd

"Systemd is now the default for the current version of Ubuntu that will be installed using the wsl --install command default."

Also when I look in the /var/log/auth.log, there are many lines with systemd, e.g.:

Nov 25 22:30:14 ELCON45223 systemd-logind[155]: New session 6 of user velle.
Nov 25 22:30:14 ELCON45223 systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user velle(uid=1000) by (uid=0)

Could someone please help me understand exactly which part creates this XDG_RUNTIME_DIR folder? Is it part of the systemd repo or not? And if the answer is (or may be) different between Ubuntu and WSL Ubuntu, I would be happy if you share what you know about any any of those cases :) Right now, I barely know where to report this issue.

In Ubuntu it is *likely* to be systemd invoked through PAM (not systemd as in init/pid1, but one of the additional components), but in general it is *not guaranteed* to be a systemd component (some Linux distributions use alternative PAM modules to do this).

In a 100% systemd-based system, 1) pam_systemd requests systemd-logind to create a user session (your syslog line 1), 2) systemd-logind starts the user@<uid> system system service; 3) as a dependency this also starts the user-runtime-dir@<uid> system service; 4) the user-runtime-dir@ service creates the runtime directory for you. In older versions it was slightly different; logind did it internally.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas