Re: Dropping SysV init script support? (was: systemd prerelease 254-rc3)

On Mo, 24.07.23 19:29, Jeremy Linton (jeremy.linton@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> > Because I don't necessarily control what other people do. And there's
> > still a very long tail of software out there that only ships a
> > sysvinit script. There are still people upgrading from RHEL 5/6, SLE
> > 11, or Ubuntu 14.04 too. The software they bring along that they can't
> > change would still be using sysvinit scripts.
>
> A concrete example I ran into last week. The "Cisco Secure Client" which is
> mandated in many places because it doesn't allow the user to disable the
> "Cisco Secure Desktop trojan" like openconnect does.
>
> The latest (AFAIK) 5.x versions continue to drop a service into
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ciscod on generic linux platforms rather than providing a
> systemd unit file.

So you admit the current way to get them to provide proper unit files
didn't work. Hence the next logic step for us: increase the pressure a
bit now. We gave them enough time I think.

> Maybe as a starting place throwing some loud errors in the
> journal/console/etc might encourage people to clean this up. (forgive me if
> its already doing that, I've not seen it).

That has been in place for a while:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/main/src/sysv-generator/sysv-generator.c#L767

Lennart

--