Dropping SysV init script support? (was: systemd prerelease 254-rc3)

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 9:00 AM systemd tag bot
<donotreply-systemd-tag@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         * Support for System V service scripts is now deprecated and will be
>           removed in a future release. Please make sure to update your software
>           *now* to include a native systemd unit file instead of a legacy
>           System V script to retain compatibility with future systemd releases.

What's driving this change? Already distributions have to manage the
code that integrates the sysv init script support into systemd (such
as chkconfig(8) and debian's systemd-sysv-install for update-rc.d(8)).

To the best of my knowledge, the sysv support code actually *in*
systemd is mostly around the systemd-sysv-generator that creates
transient units to express dependencies. There's also the small bits
in systemctl(1) itself for triggering the generation of those units.

Is this something that could be externalized into a separate project
and framework like systemd-initctl was? Perhaps it could even be a
pattern for others to implement translation for their own things to
systemd (e.g. runit, et al).