Re: VLAN interface stuck in pending

On Sun, Jun 4, 2023 at 6:34 PM Matthias Luft <systemd@xxxxxx> wrote:
Ahh, I read about this problem when e.g. renaming the VLAN interface
which would then match the physical interface - and I just assumed this
wouldn't be an issue as the VLAN interface would not exist yet, going by
the ordered config files. Obviously should not have assumed... thank you
very much!

They're not processed as a single list. All of the .link files are completely independent from .netdev or .network files, for example, even though they're in the same directory. (It's actually *udev* that applies .link configuration, not networkd – whenever an interface *shows up* from anywhere its .link configuration is applied, whether it was created manually or otherwise.)

Similarly the .netdev files are processed independently whereas .network files are attached to interfaces first (i.e. networkd doesn't look for interfaces matching 10-wan.network; it looks for .network files matching the eth0 device).

--
Mantas Mikulėnas