Re: VLAN interface stuck in pending

On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 11:15 AM Matthias Luft <systemd@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Friends,

I'm on Debian Bullseye with 247.3-7+deb11u2 and am trying to configure a
VLAN interface with networkd.

My configuration is listed below. VLAN interface gets created correctly,
however, no IP gets assigned. If I assign an IP manually, the interface
is functional. networkctl shows the interface as pending:

# networkctl
IDX LINK            TYPE     OPERATIONAL SETUP
   1 lo              loopback carrier     unmanaged
   2 wan             ether    carrier     configured
   3 isp_uplink_vlan vlan     degraded    pending

With debugging enabled, I see the following in the systemd-networkd journal:

isp_uplink_vlan: Interface is being renamed, pending initialization.
isp_uplink_vlan: link_check_ready(): link is in pending state.

Full log output listed here: https://pastebin.com/4urn8TBX

Would you have any pointers what I am missing here?

Thank you in advance & cheers,
Matthias

-----

Configuration:

# cat 01-wan.link
[Match]
MACAddress=99:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

[Link]
Name=wan

VLANs have the same MAC address as their parent device, so this .link file tells the system to rename *both* interfaces to the same name "wan".

Add a "Type=ether" match to avoid this.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas