Re: why systemd-boot (seems as everyone else) does not check the signatures of initramfs?

Hi everybody,

Continuing the work/learning path I started last week, I have had a development: Still with shim loading systemd-boot, which can read the kernel and initramfs from XBOOTLDR partition, I have introduced LUKS to encrypt the root partition (XBOOTLDR is not encrypted).

Originally I was planning to move from this to UKI so that I can make sure that both kernel and initramfs are checked before booting, but today I have considered a different course of action: Should I use the TPM to store a key to decrypt the disk like this:

systemd-cryptenroll --tpm2-device=auto --tpm2-pcrs=0+1+7+9

Then, by using PCR9 the initrd would be checked before allowing the boot sequence to continue. By doing this, then, I do not have to switch to UKI until I have learned more about it.

Do you guys think this reasoning is flawed?

Thank you,

---
Felix Rubio
"Don't believe what you're told. Double check."