Re: systemd enables custom service units on firstboot

Using the presets is a little tricky. Because during debootstrap Debian installation a machine-id is created and the 90-systemd.preset seems to be applied. After this initial Debian package installation there may be Debian packages installed via apt which enabled service units without using presets (e.g. sshd). Using a 99-disable.preset (disable *) can have unintended side-effects, especially if presets are applied again (by 'systemctl preset-all' or again during boot). In my setup it seems to be safer NOT to use the 99-disable.preset, rather disable all own and unused service units within own preset.

However, removing the machine-id from my image does result in a new machine-id creation on next boot, BUT does not apply the presets again.

Is it also possible to reset the boot preset status, so that it is applied again on next boot? Or do I need to run 'systemctl preset-all'?

Thanks,

Martin