Re: feature request: optional, with delay, for equivalent of setterm blank for VT login prompt

Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 30, 2023, 11:29 <u34@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The following is a feature request. At src/login/loginctl.c ?
> > The looked up feature is the equivalent of
> >     setterm --blank aDelay --powerdown SomeOtherDelay
> > , only as soon as the login prompt appears. Before login.
> > I mean, I ask to leave the current state as is. But allow the admin to set
> > up these command also for the login prompt, if he chooses to. And it will
> > be cleared while logining in.
> > That command just put the display into a sort of blank mode.
> > For me, the current situation is that I have to login to get the ability
> > run that setterm command. Which, I think, is not always desiarble. A
>

> Then instead run it as a oneshot .service with StandardInput (and maybe
> TTYName) set appropriately. (It's one of the few situations where it is
> appropriate for services to access a tty.)
>
> I think such settings *could* be made part of vconsole.conf, though. Try
> opening a feature request on systemd's GitHub.

There is now https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/27467 . It refers
to systemd-logind, which could be the wrong component.

> > console in the remote servers room can be in blank mode when no emergency
> > actions are required. In particular, when the server is remotely
> > supervised.
> > And so is a desktop that also act as the single printer gateway for a
> > small
> > office. Or for a user that gone away after the desktop was turned on (but
> > before he logged in), because he had some urgent call to attend to.
> > For a machine that boots into graphic mode, not plain old text mode, a
> > similar feature is implemented out of the box. Isn't it?
> >

> It's implemented by the "graphic mode" itself (usually by Xorg), not by
> systemd.

Right. I tried to point out the requested feature is taken for granted,
with almost no objections, for graphical environment.