Completing the boot process for systemd inside the chroot

It seems I sent this to the wrong list. I hope this isn't off topic.

Dear systemd mailing list,

I am trying to finish the boot process for systemd inside the chroot. I have followed the instructions in the documentation, but I am still having some problems.

The following is typical output:

[...$ sudo systemctl start systemd-journald
Running in chroot, ignoring request: start...]
### Showing that systemd is bailing out because of the chroot.

[...$ ps --no-headers -o comm 1

init...]   ### showing the Chromebook is using init at PID 1

[...$ file /sbin/init
/sbin/init: symbolic link to /lib/systemd/systemd ...} ### showing that init and systemd are linked in the chroot.

[...$ stat /sbin/init

File: /sbin/init -> /lib/systemd/systemd ...] ### Showing that systemd is in use.

{...$ ls /usr/lib/systemd } ### Shows the systemd files are loaded.

[...$ systemctl is-active --quiet service

System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down  ...]  ###   Systemd not active in chroot

I'm wondering if adding a line in the rc would help complete the boot process.

Can you please help me troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you for your time.

yours truly,

Benjamin Godfrey