Re: rc-local.service and its future in systemd?

> > This totally depends on the unit you wrote. Without it, we can't help. In general, ignore and forget the run level concept.
> > BR
> > Silvio
> > I only changed these settings in rc-local.service:
> >
> [Unit]
> After=systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=default.target
>
> and disabled /usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-rc-local-generator from running.
> When I tried to boot, the system didn't come up any more.

Well, you created a circular dependency. Just don't use the rc-local.service at all, but put the commands from there in their own .service units. Think about their dependencies and order Proper with Wants=, Before= and After=.

If you're able to share your rc.local script, than we can help.

The cyclic dependency problem doesn't come from the rc.local file, but from systemd. I only run one simple command in it.

Best regards,

Aki