coredumpctl: matching by e.g. env var?

Hi all,

I have a question about coredumpctl core dump matching, maybe somebody has an idea: The LibreOffice build system's `make check` machinery has some logic to identify core files generated by crashed tests and to use gdb to automatically obtain backtraces from them (similar to `coredumpctl debug`; which is especially useful for builds running as remote CI jobs, where all you get back is the build log including the gdb backtraces).

But that LibreOffice machinery relies on the traditional /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern=core setting. For each test (which can each spawn any number of sub-processes), it first cd's to a dedicated per-test directory prior to starting the test, and then when the test failed it invokes gdb on any core.* files found in that directory. Which worked quite well (hardly any test process would internally establish a different cwd).

Now, for environments using coredumpctl rather than the traditional core_pattern, I'd like to make that machinery work too. I'd need some way to match exactly those core dumps coming from processes belonging to a given test invocation. (And many different tests use the same test runner executable, which rules out matching by COREDUMP_EXE.) I find no journalctl match filter variable in systemd.journal-fields(7) that looks like it could help me here.

So one idea I had was whether it could be possible to match by a given environment variable value? The LibreOffice test machinery would set some specific environment variable E to a (hopefully) unique per-test value V prior to starting a test, and then when the test failed it could query `coredumpctl debug` on matches of E=V.

Any thoughts?