Re: Extend systemd-resolved service to override DNS response

On Tue, Feb 14, 2023, at 04:04, Aditya Sharma wrote:
Hi Kevin,

If what you mean is that you want to serve 'stale' records from a cache when their TTLs have expired and the authoritative servers which provided them are not reachable, that's something that a number of existing recursive resolvers are able to do and it could be logical for systemd-resolved to offer it too.
We are looking to prepare a solution similar to this, to serve back records for FQDNs in case of timeout from the DNS server.
We want to understand how we can extend systemd-resolved to override response from DNS server in case of timeouts/failures.

Again, you need to be very specific in your request.

systemd-resolved communicates with one or more recursive resolvers (what you are calling "DNS server", but that term is ambiguous). If those resolvers are not operational, systemd-resolved will continue serving records from its cache (if the cache is enabled), until their TTLs expire.

When the TTLs expire, those records in the cache become 'stale', and are normally purged. Your request is to have an option in systemd-resolved to *not* purge those records, but to continue serving them in case it is unable to communicate with the configured recursive resolver(s).

In your original message you referred to a 'negative response' from the "DNS server", but that's a completely different situation.