Re: Container restart issue: Failed to attach 1 to compat systemd cgroup

Hello.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 03:28:04PM +0000, Lewis Gaul <lewis.gaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can confirm that the container has permissions since executing a 'mkdir'
> in /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/machine.slice/libpod-<ctr-id>.scope/ inside the
> container succeeds after the restart, so I have no idea why systemd is not
> creating the 'init.scope/' dir.

It looks like it could also be a race/deferred impact from host's systemd.

> I notice that inside the container's systemd cgroup mount
> 'system.slice/' does exist, but 'user.slice/' also does not (both
> exist on normal boot). Is there any way I can find systemd logs that
> might indicate why the cgroup dir creation is failing?

I'd suggest looking at debug level logs from the hosts systemd around
the time of the container restart.

> I could raise this with the podman team, but it seems more in the systemd
> area given it's a systemd warning and I would expect systemd to be creating
> this cgroup dir?

What is the host's systemd version and cgroup mode
(legacy,hybrid,unified)? (I'm not sure what the distros in your original
message referred to.)

Thanks,
Michal