Re: Container restart issue: Failed to attach 1 to compat systemd cgroup

I omitted one piece of information about running with --cgroupns=private thinking it was unrelated, but actually it appears maybe it is related (and perhaps highlights a variant of the issue that is seen on first-boot, not only on container restart). Again (and what makes me think it's related), I can reproduce this on a Centos host but not on Ubuntu (still with SELinux in 'permissive' mode).

[root@localhost ~]# podman run -it --name ubuntu --privileged --cgroupns private ubuntu-systemd
systemd 245.4-4ubuntu3.19 running in system mode. (+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTI)
Detected virtualization podman.
Detected architecture x86-64.

Welcome to Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS!

Set hostname to <daca3bb894b7>.
Couldn't move remaining userspace processes, ignoring: Input/output error
Failed to create compat systemd cgroup /system.slice: No such file or directory
Failed to create compat systemd cgroup /system.slice/system-getty.slice: No such file or directory

[  OK  ] Created slice system-getty.slice.
Failed to create compat systemd cgroup /system.slice/system-modprobe.slice: No such file or directory
[  OK  ] Created slice system-modprobe.slice.
Failed to create compat systemd cgroup /user.slice: No such file or directory
[  OK  ] Created slice User and Session Slice.
[  OK  ] Started Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch.
[  OK  ] Started Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch.

This first warning is coming from one of the same areas of code I linked in my first email: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/v245/src/core/cgroup.c#L2967.

I see the same thing with '--cap-add sys_admin' instead of '--privileged', and again seen with both docker and podman.

Thanks,
Lewis