Re: Issue with systemd / journalctl

> On 26 Dec 2022, at 14:02, systemd@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>   Hi,
>
> I'm sorry if I'm at the wrong place but I feel I have a big issue with systemd and journalctl.
> Basically I know no more journal logs since 24/10 and I have no real idea why.

I would ask on a debian mailing list. They will know the detail of how rsyslog service is packaged.

Its not systemd itself that is likely to be the source of the problem
It will most likely be the service unit files that you have installed that need debugging.

> Here is the full story, if I'm at the wrong place, please tell me so.
>
> I've discovered I have an issue with systemd on my Debian server. I've seen that some logging service don't want to start through systemd but the daemon itself start without issues:
>
> > ❯ systemctl start rsyslog.service
> > A dependency job for rsyslog.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
>
> If I start manually rsyslogd, it's working:
>
> > ❯ /usr/sbin/rsyslogd
> > ❯ ps awx | grep rsyslog
> >   45995 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/sbin/rsyslogd
>
> So I tried to understand what's wrong with systemd.
>
> First,  journalctl -xe shows only lines from 24 Oct, nothing recent.
>
> I've tried timedatectl to ensure the date is correct but got this message
>
> > ❯ timedatectl
> > Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
>
> I've searched a lot on Internet and ended up running systemctl --failed command and it shown many failed services:
>
> > ❯ systemctl --failed
> >   UNIT                            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
> > ● dbus.socket                     loaded failed failed D-Bus System Message Bus Socket
> > ● syslog.socket                   loaded failed failed Syslog Socket
> > ● systemd-fsckd.socket            loaded failed failed fsck to fsckd communication Socket
> > ● systemd-journald-audit.socket   loaded failed failed Journal Audit Socket
> > ● systemd-journald-dev-log.socket loaded failed failed Journal Socket (/dev/log)
> > ● systemd-journald.socket         loaded failed failed Journal Socket
> > ● systemd-udevd-control.socket    loaded failed failed udev Control Socket
> > ● systemd-udevd-kernel.socket     loaded failed failed udev Kernel Socket
> > ● uuidd.socket                    loaded failed failed UUID daemon activation socket
> >
> > LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
> > ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
> > SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
> > 9 loaded units listed.
>

> I've re-installed systemd-sysv and rebooted, cleaned old journalctl entries but same issues.

Why do you need the sysv package on a systemd system at all?

Barry