Re: Some questions on userdbd and providing a compatible service

On Do, 24.11.22 14:29, Dominik George (nik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hi Lennart,
>
> > (BTW; I kinda hope that one day systemd-homed could directly
> > authenticate home directories via OIDC too. In fact, I want it so that
> > you can just type in any OpenID identity on a login prompt, and this
> > would authenticate a user and create a local homedir on the fly if
> > needed.)
>
> One more question on this: Does homed only handle user sessions for
> users created with homed? Or can any userdb backend provide a user
> record exposing a "storage" section, and systemd-homed will handle
> this user as well?

The former. But you can register users with homed easily. i.e. just
"upload" a JSON user record to it, and it will manage it. But this
step is necessary.

> In other words: Can I use data from my own userdb backend to make
> homed start managing the home directory for this user?

Nope, currently not. homed is a *provider* of user records, not a
consumer.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin