Re: Antw: [EXT] [systemd???devel] starting networking from within single user mode?

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 08:02:00AM +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Nachricht <20221110220426.GA17371@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I've managed to hose a SLES12 SP5 host; it starts to boot, then hangs.
>
> And what did you do to mess it up? And what do the boot messages say?

A good question, and not specific to systemd, so I don't want to
pollute the list archives too much on this matter.

'All' I did was remove many RPMs that I arbitrarily deemed
unnecessary.

I came up with a heavily trimmed-down list of SLES RPM for my SLES12
Sp5 environment.

I successfully installed a server using just that trimmed-down list;
yay me!

I then explored 'upgrading' a running (slight older) SP5 box, using
this trimmed-down list.  A purposeful side effect was to uninstall
RPMs not in that trimmed-down list.

This latter box begins to boot, and gets at least as far as loading
the initrd image, before hanging.

I'm pretty certain there's something mismanaged with replacing the
kernel, but not properly managing all of the related boot files
(kdump? device probing? etc.)

Anyway, that's my mess.  Not at all related to systemd, near as I
can tell.  I just have to methodically narrow down on where my
process jumps the tracks.

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
BSD admin/developer at large