starting networking from within single user mode?

I've managed to hose a SLES12 SP5 host; it starts to boot, then hangs.

If I get it into single-user mode (getting into the grub menu, and adding
init=/bin/bash) I can at least review the file system.

What I want to do is get networking running, so that I can at least gather
logs, etc.

When I try to start networking with 'systemctl', I see this error:

systemd "failed to connect to bus; No such file or directory"

What can I do to minimally bring up the networking service? I don't even
have any network devices at this point...

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
BSD admin/developer at large