Re: *****SPAM***** Re: problem understanding why I am 'forced' to run systemd-journald

Am Mi., 5. Okt. 2022 um 13:28 Uhr schrieb František Šumšal
<frantisek@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On 10/5/22 11:56, Marc wrote:
> > I have seen that, but is that not something like 'accepting log entries and sending data to /dev/null'? I am looking for an option that does not process anything.
>
> Not really, as the man page (that Michael already linked) states [0] using Storage=volatile will cause the journals to be stored only in memory (under /run/log/journal) without any disk writes. You can also disable journal completely using Storage=none, in which case journald would work only as a forwarder to syslog/kmsg and other configured services (if present). Again, I'd recommend going through the Storage= docs in the respective man page[0].

Storage=none has the downside, that `systemctl status` etc become less
useful. So if you have a bit of RAM to spare, I'd recommend
Storage=volatile for your particular use case.
You will have a bit of CPU overhead for journald doing the message
multiplexing but disabling it completely is not really recommended.

And personally, journalctl is just so useful. I wouldn't want to miss it.