Re: *****SPAM***** Re: problem understanding why I am 'forced' to run systemd-journald

On 10/5/22 11:56, Marc wrote:
I have seen that, but is that not something like 'accepting log entries and sending data to /dev/null'? I am looking for an option that does not process anything.

Not really, as the man page (that Michael already linked) states [0] using Storage=volatile will cause the journals to be stored only in memory (under /run/log/journal) without any disk writes. You can also disable journal completely using Storage=none, in which case journald would work only as a forwarder to syslog/kmsg and other configured services (if present). Again, I'd recommend going through the Storage= docs in the respective man page[0].

[0] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html#Storage=

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html#Stor
age=

→ volatile

Hello,

I have started to upgrade a few machines from CentOS7 to recent
versions of CentOS/Rocky. However I don't really get why there is a
systemd-journald process writing stuff to disk while I have explicitly
configured that logs should go to a remote syslog server.

Reading such pages [1] does not really explain the design idea behind
wanting to generated 2x the amount iops. One would think with all this
environmental co2 global warming stuff, design would be aimed at being
more efficient.

1. why do I need system-journald?

2. why is it not a service that can be disabled?

3. How can I make sure that none of the logs I have, are not having a
duplicate somewhere?

I have 'slower' distributed storage, so it is important to minimize
the amount of useless io being generated.
I was already complaining to Bill Gates, he should shut up about the
environment. If he did not hire 'lazy' people and spend a few billion
more on development we would have a lot less energy consumption, because
windows is using quite a lot of resources compared to linux. Now
upgrading, I have ~2x iops then before.

Can anyone help me with my 3 questions?

--
Frantisek Sumsal