Re: Splitting sd-boot from systemd/bootctl for enabling sd-boot in Fedora

On 28.04.2022 10:54, Lennart Poettering wrote:

>> * systemd-boot is an additional bootloader, rather than replacing
>>   an existing one, thus increasing the attack surface.
>
> Hmm, what? "additional bootloader"? Are they suggesting you use grub
> to start sd-boot? I mean, you certainly could do that, but the only
> people I know who do that do that to patch around the gatekeeping that
> the shim people are doing. Technically the boot chain should either be
> [firmware → sd-boot → kernel] or [firmware → shim → sd-boot → kernel]
> (if you buy into the shim thing), and nothing else.

I guess "additional bootloader" in this context means that distribution
cannot use sd-boot as the only bootloader for obvious reason - it is EFI
only. So distribution would need to keep currently used bootloader
anyway. If current bootloader already works on platforms supported by
distribution, what is gained by adding yet another one?