Re: when mount is delayed - start unit which depends on it - ?

Mantas Mikulėnas wrote on 18/09/2021 09:41:

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 2:40 PM lejeczek <peljasz@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:peljasz@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi guys.

    I'm trying to have unit to start...
    well,
    I have a luks device which waits for manual passphrase
    input, when that happens 'systemd' mounts, without user
    intervention(which is great), that luks device.
    fstab:
    /dev/mapper/luks.devs /devs   ext4
    noatime,nobarrier,noatime,x-systemd.device-timeout=2,nofail 1 2
    and now I'll have many units/services which depend on that
    mount, because they need to get to paths to get their
    configs & other bits.

    Question - how do I make such a unit to re/start when
    'systemd' does the mount? Naturally, ideally without any
    ways external to 'systemd'.

If units need this mount, then *actually* make them depend on this mount – as in, "Requires=devs.mount" and "After=devs.mount" in each service's [Unit].

I agree this is correct, but I don't think it does what the user wants. i.e. when the mount eventually happens (e.g. after all the jobs have timed out and the user manually mounts it), the rest of the transaction continues where it left off rather than just sitting their failed/unstarted.

I think there is possibly something you could do with a udev rule, a custom target unit and PartOf= in the dependant services?

Or perhaps a path unit based on a file inside the mounted filesystem which again triggers a target (again coupled with PartOf in the dependant services).

HTHs

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie