Mobile broadband modems support in systemd-networkd

I am trying to integrate an MBIM cellular modem (Sierra Wireless MC7455) into my project, and while there seem to be plenty of people doing the same thing, all of the references seem to point to using ModemManager to set up the connection and NetworkManager to manage the IP config (address, gateway, and DNS). I'd like to avoid having to add NetworkManager to my build, since I've been getting along nicely with systemd-networkd for my Ethernet and Wi-Fi interfaces (using iwd to manage the Wi-Fi connection). Is there any work afoot to get systemd-networkd to set up the IP address info in concert with ModemManager, or do I have to force NetworkManager to play nicely with systemd-networkd?

--
Bruce A. Johnson | Firmware Engineer
Blue Ridge Networks, Inc.