Re: how to make the systemd init faster

Dear Dino,

Am 05.06.21 um 00:08 schrieb Dino Joseph Mycle:

I am trying t improve my embedded system boot time which uses systemd.
debugging understood that it spends lot time around ~1.3 second in my iMX6
board running @800MHz on initialization of the systemd

plotting  the graph using “systemd-analyze plot > /tmp/bootime.svg “ i am
seeing that, it spend around 1 second reading config file and generating
dynamic file at /run/systemd. And then it start executing unit files

What does `systemd-analyze` output?

Please share that file, and read up a little about analyzing the boot time. As far as I know, that command is not very suitable for that and more or less plots the unit, which I would not consider “systemd init”. Please look into systemd-bootchart for example.

What distribution and systemd version do you use?

My questions are, since its an embedded system where the hardware and
configuration are always constant once you build the image so all these
dynamic stuff reading from files are not required

1)      what all i should be doing to make the boot faster

These questions (with the ones below) are too general and not suitable to discuss in one thread. Please start separate threads for each of them, and provide more data. For a general introduction into the topic I recommend to read the slides of the course *embedded Linux boot time optimization* by Bootlin [1]. (It only has one slide for systemd though, but – as written – please look into systemd-bootchart.)

2)      is there a way I can configure the files statically at compile
time, which will reduce the time of reading each file from eMMC.

(What files?)

3)      How can I disable the mounting of the root partition from the
systemd-generators as I see the kernel mounts it in my systemd and gets
remounted, even though I commented the line in fstab

(Add `systemd.log_level=debug`, and analyze what generators are run, read the manual of the generator, and find out how to disable it, or just delete it.)

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://bootlin.com/blog/new-training-course-embedded-linux-boot-time-optimization/