Re: Is it meant to be possible to set IO[Read|Write]BandwidthMax on a slice ?

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 6:19 PM Hadrien Grasland <hadrien.grasland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 08/04/2021 à 16:11, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Do, 08.04.21 12:24, Hadrien Grasland (hadrien.grasland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> In a scenario where running benchmarks on dedicated hardware is not
>> possible, I'm trying to momentarily cap the I/O bandwidth used by
>> interactive user sessions while benchmarks are running, in order to improve
>> the stability of said benchmark's I/O performance.
> Is this on cgroupsv1 or cgroupsv2?
>
> IIRC there was some issue that the block io controller wasn't fully
> recursive on cgroupsv1. It should work on cgroupsv2.

This is on a hybrid cgroup configuration. I (perhaps mistakenly) assumed
that modern systemd (v246) will use the cgroups v2 hierarchy in that
case, even though cgroups v1 is still exposed for compatibility with
older apps.

If e.g. the io controller is exposed through cgroups v1, as far as I know it cannot be simultaneously used through cgroups v2, and vice versa.

(Hmm, wasn't there an option to choose which controllers to assign to v1 and which ones to v2?)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas