Is it meant to be possible to set IO[Read|Write]BandwidthMax on a slice ?

Hi everyone,

In a scenario where running benchmarks on dedicated hardware is not possible, I'm trying to momentarily cap the I/O bandwidth used by interactive user sessions while benchmarks are running, in order to improve the stability of said benchmark's I/O performance.

In the following discussion, I'll focus on capping the read bandwidth of /dev/sda for the sake of keeping my examples short, but if I can get this to work, the idea would be to cap the read and write bandwidth of all storage devices.

From https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.resource-control.html , I understand that I should be able to achieve the intended goal by...

However, this is not effective, as can be checked by running `hdparm -t`, which still observes the full disk bandwidth.

I have tried the following variants:

This looks like a cgroups or systemd bug to me, but I thought I would cross-check with you before reporting this to my distribution's bugtracker (my distro packages systemd 246, which is just below your minimal version criterion for upstream bug reports).

Should I be able to set I/O bandwidth caps on a top-level slice like user.slice, or is it expected that I can only do it on individual services?

Cheers,
Hadrien