Re: Questions about systemd's "root storage daemon" concept

On Di, 26.01.21 13:30, Martin Wilck (mwilck@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Tue, 2021-01-26 at 11:30 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > > Imagine two parallel instances of systemd-udevd (IMO there are
> > > reasons
> > > to handle it like a "root storage daemon" in some distant future).
> >
> > Hmm, wa? naahh.. udev is about dicovery it should not be required to
> > maintain access to something you found.
>
> True. But if udev ran without interruption, we could get rid of
> coldplug after switching root. That could possibly save us a lot of
> trouble.

And introduce new trouble. Usually the rules on the host are more
comprehensive than those in the initrd. You have to coldplug for the
bigger ruleset. If you want to avoid that you basically would have to
pack up a ton more stuff into the initrd.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin