Re: btrfs raid not ready but systemd tries to mount it anyway

On Fr, 16.10.20 16:26, Daniel J. R. May (daniel.may@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-10-16 at 15:16 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > So the btrfs ready ioctl is called and the device considered by the
> > kernel btrfs implementation  to be ready
> > (i.e. assembled from all component devices) with this line:
> >
> > [   27.804250] systemd-udevd[712]: sde: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/64-btrfs.rules:15 RUN '/usr/bin/udevadm trigger -s block -p ID_BTRFS_READY=0'
> >
> > (that's line 35792)
> >
> > And srv.mount then later mounts the thing correctly.
> >
> > Where's the problem supposed to be be?
> >
> I will try and summarise the situation in one message to help make
> things clear. Here is a summarised history of the problem:
>
> 1. The original problem:
> A 10 HDD BTRFS volume with 4 drives connected to the motherboard and 6
> drives connected to the HBA *fails* to mount automatically at boot time.
> The log for this (without any special debugging options set in grub) is
> here:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o1-7smQAjg3LKP98EFfeHbb_jZdNz_jT/view?usp=sharing
>
> 2. Debugging with "rd.udev.debug systemd.log_level=debug":
> The same 10 HDD BTRFS volume with 4 drives connected to the motherboard
> and 6 drives connected to the HBA *fails* to mount automatically at boot
> time. The log for this with "rd.udev.debug systemd.log_level=debug" set
> in grub is here:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jVHjAQ8CY9vABtM2giPTB6XeZCclm7R-/view?usp=sharing

Ths btrfs udev rule file appears to be missing in the initrd. The
block devices with the btrfs file systems on them will thus be marked
ready in systemd instantly instead of being delayed until all other
devices of the same btrfs fs have shown up in udev too.

Fix your initrd.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin