btrfs raid not ready but systemd tries to mount it anyway

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 14:42:18 -0600 Chris Murphy wrote:
> I'll have him retry with udev.log_priority=debug and if I get a moment
> I'll try to reproduce. The difficulty is reproducing truly missing
> devices is easy and appears to work, whereas in this case they are
> merely late being scanned for whatever reason (maybe they take longer
> to spin up, maybe the HBA they're connected to is just slow or has a
> later loading driver, etc)

Hello,

I am the original user that Chris Murphy has been helping with this
issue.

I tried rebooting the system removing "rhgb quiet" and adding
"udev.log_priority=debug systemd.log_level=debug" and the btrfs
filesystem mounts at boot correctly! After logging in I have:

$ ls /srv/
git  nfs  www

$ sudo journalctl -b -o short-monotonic --no-hostname >
srv_mount_failure_at_boot-journal-3.txt

Log available here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-x26JS5gcZxwZx7zWoKduEg9ycwUHKqO/view?usp=sharing

$ sudo rpm -q systemd
systemd-245.8-2.fc32.x86_64

$ sudo systemctl --version
systemd 245 (v245.8-2.fc32)
+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP
+LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS
+KMOD +IDN2 -IDN +PCRE2 default-hierarchy=unified

$ uname -a
Linux oxygen 5.8.13-200.fc32.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 1 21:49:42 UTC 2020
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ sudo lsinitrd /boot/initramfs-5.8.13-200.fc32.x86_64.img | grep btrfs
$ # No instances of "btrfs" found

I then rebooted without modifying the grub boot options and the btrfs
filesystem failed to mount as before:

$ sudo systemctl list-units --failed
  UNIT      LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● srv.mount loaded failed failed /srv

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of
SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit
type.

1 loaded units listed.

$ sudo systemctl restart srv.mount

$ sudo systemctl list-units --failed
  UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION
0 loaded units listed.

$ ls /srv
git  nfs  www

$ sudo rpm -q systemd
systemd-245.8-2.fc32.x86_64

$ uname -a
Linux oxygen 5.8.13-200.fc32.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 1 21:49:42 UTC 2020
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ sudo lsinitrd /boot/initramfs-5.8.13-200.fc32.x86_64.img | grep btrfs
$ # No instances of "btrfs" found

I then changed the hard drive connections: everything previously had 4
drives directly connected to the motherboard and the other 6 connected
to the HBA. Changing this so that all 10 drives are connected to the HBA
 and rebooting caused the btrfs volume to mount correctly at boot:

ls /srv/
git  nfs  www

$ sudo systemctl list-units --failed
  UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION
0 loaded units listed.

So the problem seems to be caused by having some drives connected to the
motherboard and others connected to the HBA.

I obviously can continue to run like this and it looks like it will fix
my problem — but I wanted to report this in case some poor soul has a
setup like me and they need more than 16 drives in their btrfs volume 😕

Best wishes,

Dan