Re: [EXT] Re: Using timedatectl on a readonly rootfile system using mender

Shravan Singh kirjoitti 2020-09-08 16:31:
No one is answering a simple question. Why we have to guard timezone
so much?.

Why can't I change it? What happens if I change it on a read-only
rootfs? I am breaking the whole systemd by doing this?

In fact most of the people in this group are suggesting a work-around
to me

 "I wonder: If you have a working pull request, why don't you use that
code and be happy with it? That's how free software works.
Still everybody interested can apply you patch."

Yes, it works. My question is why is not getting included so that
everyone can benefit from it. That is how a free software community
should work.

It's a general doubt about usefulness. I don't think your need is so
general that many people would benefit from it and it breaks conventions
that have been used for quite long time.

In this day and age of mobile computing it is really shocking to see.
That timezone is not regarded as something that can be dynamically
changed.

No, that is not the problem here. TZ is freely changeable and always
has been, your problem is the read-only /etc.

You should take this up with mender and not systemd; fix it where it is
broken and don't try to patch it somewhere else.

--
   - Juice -