Re: Journal message timestamps

I've run into similar issues and resorted to adding battery-backed
RTCs to my RPis in order to ensure that the kernel's clock would be
set to something 'reasonable' very early in the boot process (although
it's still not ideal since the RTC drivers are loaded as modules so
the kernel's code for doing this can't read them... it has to be done
in userspace very early).

Given the low cost of RTC chips and supercaps to power them, the fact
that RPis still don't include a hardware RTC in their fourth
generation is a major failing. In spite of that the boards are quite
useful.