Re: 'PIDFile=' warning and override.conf

On Mi, 26.08.20 21:48, Richard Hector (richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > better writ ebugreports so that these sloppy mainatiners wake up and
> > read their own logfiles before throwing packages to users - it's the
> > same on Fedora and i simple don't get it
>
> Which came first? The package that refers to the wrong directory, or the
> systemd version that changed the directory and/or started complaining
> about it? Debian stretch (systemd 232-25+deb9u12) doesn't complain.
>
> There are (at least) three bug reports for this in the Debian tracker
> already :-)
>
> But it's unlikely to be fixed in stable, because it's only a warning,
> and not a security issue (I assume).

Ahem. Your distro should provide you with unit files that do not
generate warnings. Please complain to your distro about this, they
should fix that, even in stable versions. It's a trivial fix.

> Not to mention a bunch of the 'sloppy maintainers' are probably grumpy
> that they had to learn and write systemd units in the first place, when
> they were happy with sysvinit :-)
>
> Anyway, at this point, I'm more interested in whether there's a bug in
> systemd, or whether it's intentional that I can't fix this in an
> override file rather than having to do it under /lib, where it's going
> to get overwritten with any package update. Or, of course, whether I'm
> just doing it wrong.

You could copy the unit file from /usr/lib/systemd/system/ to
/etc/systemd/system/ and then fix it there. In that case the vendor
supplied version is entirely ignored and not parsed and thus the
warning goes away. If you otoh just add a extension drop-in via .d/
then the original file is read, including the legacy PIDFile= stanza,
and then yours too to override it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin