Re: 'PIDFile=' warning and override.conf

On Mi, 26.08.20 11:26, Richard Hector (richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got the common warning:
>
> /lib/systemd/system/fail2ban.service:12: PIDFile= references path below
> legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid →
> /run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.
>
> I made the change in the relevant override.conf file, but that doesn't
> seem to work. Changing the 'real' one in /lib/systemd/system works.
>
> Is that how it's supposed to be?
>
> I'm using debian buster, with systemd package version 241-7~deb10u4

The warning is generated whenever a line is parsed that has the old
legacy path for this. If you later override it this doesn't change the
fact that earlier on the legacy path was parsed.

The warning is generated so that maintainers notice that the old
legacy path is used and fix it, or that downstrea, users notice and
complain to maintainers, and they fix it then.

There's not much point to try to fix that locally as user, it's a
warning only after all.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin