Re: Extend service runtime

On Mon, May 4, 2020, 23:31 Andy Pieters <systemd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 15:51, Andy Pieters <systemd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I'm trying to accomplish the following:

An event happens -> I start a systemd service in response
  after RuntimeMaxSec is reached service terminates and cleans up event

Should a second event happen whilst RuntimeMaxSec is not yet reached the
 preference would be to reset RuntimeMaxSec of the service

Alternatively, I suppose I could shut down the service and restart it in reply to
a second or third or fourth event happening.

Any suggestions here?

OK, I will give more info on what I want to do.
I have SSH login which requires 2FA. I use PAM to check if user belongs to group x
If user is in group X, normal authentication is performed
If user is not in group X, then 2F authentication is required.

That part is already working.

What I want to achieve:
a) when a user logs on using 2F authentication, add user to group x
b) after a delay remove user from group x

So this is basically for implementing sudo-like caching for 2FA?

What authentication methods are involved here?

Seems like there are better ways than a service file that permanently modifies /etc/group in the first place... Like a PAM module that literally touches a timestamp file.

That part is trivial to do with some service file, either by starting a timer, or
using systemd-run or setting RuntimeMaxSec on a dummy service and using
the ExecStop= to remove the user from group x.

The problem:
* every new login in between a) and b) above should restart the delay timing