Re: Portable service and bind paths

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 1:40 PM Lennart Poettering
<lennart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If possible use DynamicUser=1, i.e. have a short-lived user that only
> exists while your service is running.
>
> For some usecases that doesn#t work though. There's a TODO list item,
> to add AllocateUser= as new switch to create a user persistently on
> first start, as an alternative for such cases. Nobody worked on that
> yet though. And of course, it's much less sexy since for such users
> the portable services would suddenly leave traces on the system, in a
> way that is never cleaned up...

I will see if I can get DynamicUser to work.  If I understand that
correctly, it is mainly useful when the service is truly self
contained / having its own sandbox.

I want the service and myself to be able to read and write to the
files in its configuration / runtime directory. That is why I have
Bind-mounted it into the service's file system. Need to read up on the
state directory concept for DynamicUser. But it seems complex.

The AllocateUser concept seems very useful for when the usecase is to
bundle up a fast moving application with all its dependencies. I would
not mind so much about the traces that can be left. If it is
implemented, probably should include something like AllocateGroup too.

By the way, after working with portable services, I am impressed.
Simpler than the alternatives (after some initial confusion on my
part.)

Best regards
Claes

--