Re: Make systemd-localed modify the kernel commandline for the initrd keymap?

Hello Hans,

Thanks for starting this discussion.

Looking at this from a Fedora/Dracut POV, I think we should look at this as the start of implementing a configuration-only initramfs, (something Matthew Garret has been advocating for a while) rather than making this a vconsole.conf/plymouth specific solution.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 12:43 PM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 26-09-2019 11:53, Michael Chapman wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2019, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 26-09-2019 11:10, Michael Chapman wrote:
>>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2019, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> To be honest, I really do think having the initrd rebuilt completely is a
>>> better approach... but I do not think localed should be directly
>>> responsible for that.
>>
>> As I already mentioned there are 2 issues with rebuilding the initrd:
>>
>> 1) It might break booting the system and, assuming we rebuild the initrd
>> for all installed kernels on a locale change, then their will not be
>> an older one to fallback to as there normally is, which is BAD.
>>
>> 2) We are moving (and in case of rpmostree based distros already shipping)
>> to pre-generated (on the distros buildsys) initrds, which likely will
>> also be signed.
>>
>> How do you propose to solve these 2 issues?
>
> Hmm, these are good points. I do like the idea of using a
> locally-generated overlay initrd though.

Ok, looking at:
https://github.com/fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker/issues/3

It seems that this might be the preference of the silverblue
developers too and Javier also seems to favor that, so I guess
the first thing to do is to give that approach a try.

I've added a comment to:
https://github.com/fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker/issues/3
asking the silverblue devs to confirm that the overlay initramfs
is still their preferred approach, once that is confirmed I will
give this a try by manually creating on overlay initramfs and then
we will see from there.

Regards,

Hans

--
Alberto Ruiz
Engineering Manager - Desktop Hardware Enablement