Re: Make systemd-localed modify the kernel commandline for the initrd keymap?

Hi,

On 26-09-2019 11:53, Michael Chapman wrote:
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 26-09-2019 11:10, Michael Chapman wrote:
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019, Hans de Goede wrote:
[...]
I believe that the best alternative is to have localed append / update
a rd.vconsole.keymap=foo argument to the kernel commandline, to override
the vconsole.conf KEYMAP setting, but only in the initrd (so that later
runtime changes when booted still work).

The way I see this working is that localed does a read-modify-write of
all the BLS .conf files under /boot/loader/entries and updates their
"options" line to have rd.vconsole.keymap=foo appended or updated if
already present.Hi,

To be honest, I really do think having the initrd rebuilt completely is a
better approach... but I do not think localed should be directly
responsible for that.

As I already mentioned there are 2 issues with rebuilding the initrd:

1) It might break booting the system and, assuming we rebuild the initrd
for all installed kernels on a locale change, then their will not be
an older one to fallback to as there normally is, which is BAD.

2) We are moving (and in case of rpmostree based distros already shipping)
to pre-generated (on the distros buildsys) initrds, which likely will
also be signed.

How do you propose to solve these 2 issues?

Hmm, these are good points. I do like the idea of using a
locally-generated overlay initrd though.

Ok, looking at:
https://github.com/fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker/issues/3

It seems that this might be the preference of the silverblue
developers too and Javier also seems to favor that, so I guess
the first thing to do is to give that approach a try.

I've added a comment to:
https://github.com/fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker/issues/3
asking the silverblue devs to confirm that the overlay initramfs
is still their preferred approach, once that is confirmed I will
give this a try by manually creating on overlay initramfs and then
we will see from there.

Regards,

Hans