Antw: Re: systemd-devel listed as support confuses users (was: connection failure)

Nachricht <b52db04e-9fd1-e5aa-3f7a-af441b118f0b@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On 7/2/19 4:36 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Am Di., 2. Juli 2019 um 16:16 Uhr schrieb Paul Menzel
>> <pmenzel+systemd-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Reading the output above, I can see, why the people contact this mailing
>>> list.
>>
>> I agree here. While we do have `support-url` which distros can
>> override, Apparently not all of them do.
>> We could probably change our build system, that `support-url` needs to
>> be set explicitly and if unset, no Support URL is printed in the
>> journal output.
>
> This, or since the URL leads to [0], it would be also useful to extend
> the "About systemd-devel" section to provide some kind of warning that
> this ML is mainly/only for upstream systemd, not for systemd shipped by
> distributions.

The really annoying thing with systemd is that if SOMETHING fails during boot,
the complete boot is aborted and you are put into an emergency shell. Combined
with the fact that the user sees nothing while systemd waits for something
(like 3 minutes) the user does not know (because he does not see anything on
the console) gives the impression that the system "hangs". This is true at
least for SLES 12.

While the individual cause of such failures may not be systemd, the overall
effect of user frustration is very much due to systemd, giving it its bad
reputation.
So don't worry if people come to complain about many things here.

Removing or changing the support URL might help to reduce the traffic here,
but it definitely wouldn't help against the bad reputation of systemd.

To make systemd better, you really have to listen to the users' problems and
actually MAKE IT BETTER.