Re: systemctl list all possible (including unloaded) services

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 6:27 PM Roger Pack <rogerdpack2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello, I'm trying to answer this question:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/517872/systemctl-list-all-possible-including-disabled-services

Basically, I have a my_service.service that is disabled, I wish I
could "see that it is an option to start" by running systemctl, but it
doesn't seem to show up in any incantation of queries.  The reason
being I wanted to check that some /etc/init.d/XX scripts "had an
autogenerated service equivalent or not" and some were showing up in
the systemctl lists and some weren't (the disabled ones weren't, even
though still controllable by systemctl).  It was some newbie confusion
but still...confusing.

My hunch is that since it isn't auto started it is never "loaded" and
then doesn't appear in any query (if this is the case I really wish a
new command could be created to "list all units installed on the
system").

Such a command would be `systemctl list-unit-files`. As the name implies, it doesn't show truly virtual units (.device), but it *does* show generated units as they have actual files in /run/systemd -- and they're shown whether they've been enabled to start on boot or not.

If the unit doesn't show up there either (and presumably isn't in /{etc,run,lib,usr/lib}/systemd, then it could just be that systemd-sysv-generator completely skipped it for some reason.

As for the more common `systemctl list-units`, yes, it only shows in-memory units (including virtual ones), and units only stay loaded in systemd's memory if they're active/activating/failed or otherwise "interesting".

--
Mantas Mikulėnas