Re: Missing PropertiesChanged signal for service start

Hi Lennart,

I missed some details in the previous mail.
This is seen on systemd 230. Unfortunately, I cannot do a systemd upgrade now.

Subscribe() is done on org.freedesktop.systemd1 path =/org/freedesktop/systemd1 intf =org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager. To make sure that the signal was not missed due to an error in the Subscribe() logic, I also ran a dbus-monitor script that runs "/usr/bin/dbus-monitor --system" and redirects it to a dbus-monitor log file. The dbus-monitor script is always guaranteed to run before the service in question so it doesn't miss any signal. I don't see any signal indicating active state in the dbus-monitor log file when the issue happens.

Thanks
Ashitha

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 2:14 AM Lennart Poettering <lennart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a service file as follows:
>
> [Unit]
> Description= "Daemon description"
> After=a.service
> <https://opengrok-evo.juniper.net/source/s?path=mgd.service&project=EVO_TOT>
> b.service <https://opengrok-evo.juniper.net/source/s?path=mgd-api.service&project=EVO_TOT>
> c.service <https://opengrok-evo.juniper.net/source/s?path=jsd.service&project=EVO_TOT>
> _OnFailure_=failure_handler@%p.service
> <https://opengrok-evo.juniper.net/source/s?path=p.service&project=EVO_TOT>
>
> [Service]
> WorkingDirectory=/usr/sbin
> <https://opengrok-evo.juniper.net/source/s?path=/usr/sbin&project=EVO_TOT>
> ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep
> <https://opengrok-evo.juniper.net/source/s?path=/bin/sleep&project=EVO_TOT>
> 30
> ExecStart=<path-to-binary>
>

> When this service starts I expected a signal indicating state=active.
> When I reboot the system multiple times, the signal indicating
> "active" is missing some times.
>
> I got the signal ActiveState=activating, SubState=start-pre at all
> times. But signal indicating ActiveState="active" and
> SubState="running" was missing for some reboots.
>
> The service is running and shows active state all the time. What is
> reason for missing signal? I am also checking if the sleep in the
> ExecStartPre is required for this
>
> service. I am wondering if that has something to do with the missing signal.

Have you called Subscribe() on the manager object? Unless there's at
least one client doing that (which hasn't dsiconnected yet) these
messages are not necessarily generated.

Also, which systemd version is this? There have been some bugfixes in
this area in the past, hence make sure to run a current version of systemd.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat

--