/var/log/journal full, journald is not removing journal files

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018, 1:12 PM Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
wrote:

> On Mi, 18.07.18 13:08, Chris Murphy (lists at colorremedies.com) wrote:
>
> > My original expectation was that SystemMaxUse=2G which is the same
> > size as the file system, would be limited by the default behavior of
> > SystemKeepFree= which the man page says is 15% of the file system
> > size.
>
> Ah, when you override the setting that's what counts, and we won't
> second guess it. I mean, disk usage measurement is hard, given that we
> live in a world of COW file systems and compressing file systems,
> hence trying to be too smart can easily backfire...

Yeah the original user expectation is specious. It seems plausible a user
could come to that conclusion, but it's a 50/50 shot because it's sane for
an override to override all related defaults as well. And I wondered that
in the back of my mind, but dismissed it just because I like breaking
things anyway.

And really 2GiB max for the journal could never have worked on a 2GiB f2fs
anyway, because there's quite a bit of overhead due to the default
overprovisioning at mkfs time, which for this device is ~200M. So in effect
it ends up being user sabotage. However, switching back to default settings
in the journal.conf and rebooting did not immediately and automatically
clear old archive journals, that's still unexpected.

Chris Murphy