DANIEL R. ELLIOTT III SWORN IN AS FIFTH CHAIRMAN OF THE SURFACE TRANSPORTATION BOARD

-----------------------------***-----------------------------
>From the Surface Transportation Board, Washington, D.C.
-----------------------------***-----------------------------

Daniel R. Elliott III was sworn in Aug. 13 as the Board's chairman,
pledging to bring an open mind and sense of fairness to the Board's
economic regulation of railroads.

           Elliott, 46, served for 16 years as associate general counsel to
           the United Transportation Union. Earlier, he practiced at law
           firms in Washington and Cleveland. He graduated from the
           University of Michigan with a degree in political science in
           1985 and earned a law degree from Ohio State College of Law in
           1989.

           He was nominated to the Board by President Barack Obama on June
           20, 2009 for a four-year term expiring Dec. 31, 2013. He was
           confirmed by the U.S. Senate on Aug. 7, 2009.

           Elliott became the fifth chairman of the Surface Transportation
           Board, which was formed in 1996 as the successor agency to the
           Interstate Commerce Commission. The STB is an economic
           regulatory agency charged with resolving freight railroad rate
           and service disputes, reviewing proposed rail mergers, rail line
           purchases, constructions and abandonments. The Board also
           oversees Amtrak's on-time performance and has jurisdiction over
           other matters.

           In his confirmation hearing before the Senate Commerce, Science
           and Transporation Committee, he said he would use his
           chairmanship to bring more harmony to the often contentious
           relationship between shippers and railroads and bring more
           openness and speed to the Board's processes.

           "I would like to thank President Obama for honoring me with this
           appointment,'' Elliott said. "It is an honor to serve and I look
           forward to briskly moving forward and working closely with my
           fellow Board members.''

                                         ###