Surface Transportation Board Announces Settlement of First "Small" Rate Case

-----------------------------***-----------------------------
>From the Surface Transportation Board, Washington, D.C.
-----------------------------***-----------------------------

Surface Transportation Board Chairman Roger Nober today announced that the
parties have reached a mediated settlement in the first case filed under
the Board's small rate case guidelines.  Consequently, the Complainant has
requested that its complaint be dismissed.

Chairman Nober said:

"I congratulate the parties on reaching a mediated settlement of this
dispute.  This settlement shows that problems can best be resolved at the
negotiating table.  I thank the Board staff for their able assistance in
this mediation, and I thank the parties for their hard work in bringing
this matter to a successful resolution.  This also demonstrates that our
small rate case guidelines can provide an effective process for resolving
disputes."

The letter requesting dismissal of the case is available for viewing and
downloading via the agency Web site at http://www.stb.dot.gov.  It was
filed in the case entitled BP Amoco Chemical Company v. Norfolk Southern
Railway Company, STB Docket No. 42093.

###